I adore folk music. So it's kind of surprising to me that I'm just getting into Mumford and Sons. They speak to my inner romantic (which is a little bit of a hipster... don't tell though).
This post comes at the suggestion of The Boy.
BKE Long Lace Trim Tank Top, $8.25
Since caves evoke images of darkness and shadow, I decided to start with gray as the base color for the staple pieces. It's dark without being... well, black. Which reflects the initial tone of the piece: darkness without hopelessness. I wouldn't say this is a bleak song, because the whole point of it is to describe the hope the singer has for his life and the life of the person to whom he's singing. The ombré coloring in the top mimics how things get progressively brighter as you walk away from fear and doubt.
I also wanted some bright color to show the passion and determination it takes to walk away from fear and doubt. My first thought was red, but when I listened to the song again, the lyric "the sun, it rises slowly as you walk" caught my attention, so I picked the bright peach of the tank top because it reminds me of the sunrise.
JOY :: Multi Floral Print Scarf, 15 GBP
Next, you need a few accessories. The belt looks a bit worn to reflect the mood I took from the piece, and to keep the outfit pretty casual. The bag has cherry blossoms on it, which are symbolic of new life (and they match the tank top). The scarf keeps the upbeat floral theme without being too "matchy."
These sandals are my favorite piece. In addition to being totally cute (you may want to cuff the pants to show them off better) in the same rosy-peach color as the other elements, their gladiator style is a reference to the difficult battle of fighting yourself.
You don't really need a lot of other accessories, so these ones are more direct lyrical references. The choker is reminiscent of the line"I won't let you choke/on the noose around your neck." When you wear the Earth pendant, you will literally "see the world hanging upside down," and, a bit more obscurely, it's a reference to the call in the lines "I can see widows and orphans through my tears/I know my call despite my faults." The hair clip will remind you to "sing all you want," and the buckle bracelet speaks for itself...
Lead the way.

0 comments:
Post a Comment