I admit... I'm a fan of Eminem.
Hear me out, okay? I used to hate rap. But The Boy loves it, so I end up hearing it a lot (as he tries to explain to me how exactly rap counts as music). And I still hate most of it.
But I've gotta say - Eminem is a lyrical GENIUS.
He's super-violent and crass at times, but even on that note, usually it ends up enhancing the realism of his songs. For me, at least.
And I looove this song. It's about an abusive relationship, which is totally raw because it's featuring Rihanna. Listen to it with that in mind.
Today's blog features a celeb guest... Rihanna herself.
I chose this song because Eminem and Rihanna performed this song at the Grammys this year, and Rihanna's outfit in this song was just perfect.
Today's blog features a celeb guest... Rihanna herself.
I chose this song because Eminem and Rihanna performed this song at the Grammys this year, and Rihanna's outfit in this song was just perfect.
Black is an obvious choice for both the formal event and the dark tone of the song, and the bold yellows and reds are a great reference to the fire (including her ruby-red hair... best accessory ever). I also love the tattered hemline of the dress, as if the front was torn off. Even the slight purple and pinks could be taken as a subtle allusion to bruising. Perfect, perfect, perfect.
Now, since we don't all have the money to be purchasing Dior dresses (provided we even have an occasion to wear one), I modified the look slightly to be a bit more accessible. This outfit's pretty simple.
Shredded linen-blend sweater, 93 GBP
Acne Lifetime Racer-Back Tank, 25 GBP
Angle printed silk skirt, 320 GBP
Acne Lifetime Racer-Back Tank, 25 GBP
Angle printed silk skirt, 320 GBP
Since I associate Rihanna with being pretty glam, this would be something that would be more appropriate for a night out.
I started out with a black shredded top. I like it because it gives the overall effect of being torn, like the hemline of Rihanna's dress. Underneath that, a red tank - which is, of course, an allusion to the fiery song. Tuck it in for a sleeker look.
I also wanted a piece that was a little messy, but not sloppy. This disheveled-looking skirt is perfect because it works with the tank color-wise, while still keeping an interesting shape. The purple, pink and green in the skirt, like in Rihanna's dress, reflect the bruising in this abusive relationship.
Promise Jane Black Net Belt Buckle Peep Toe Double Platform High Heel..., $36
Rope Pearl Bead Coil Bracelet, $28
Sourpuss Switchblade Earrings at Broken Cherry Boutique Jewelry at..., $9
Rope Pearl Bead Coil Bracelet, $28
Sourpuss Switchblade Earrings at Broken Cherry Boutique Jewelry at..., $9
With bold pieces, you only need a few accessories. The jewelry uses some literal references to the lyrics. The earrings are blades - "steel knife in my windpipe". I also chose a rope-like coil bracelet to symbolize being tied down (literally and figuratively).
Finally, on a less dark and morbid note, the SHOES! Where have these shoes been all my life?! I love that the pattern works so well with the shredded top, but if I had these I'd probably wear them to bed if I could. That's how amazing they are.
Oh, and if you want to dye your hair red, by all means...

0 comments:
Post a Comment